Figure 1. Model Uses Taxonomy (Full Size)
The Model Uses Taxonomy organises Model Uses into a tiered structure that allows: (a) collation of Model Uses from across different industries; (b) close alignment with the Competency Taxonomy (Succar et al., 2013 - https://bit.ly/BIMpaperA6); (c) custom use-cases for unique projects; and (d) future expansion towards whole of life cycle classifications.
The Model Uses Taxonomy includes 3 Categories and 9 Series:
Category I: General Model Uses represent all Modelling Information as applicable across various knowledge domains, industries, and information systems. General Model Uses are organised a single Series, General Modelling (1000-1990) and include the word ‘modelling’ in their name to differentiate them from other categories (e.g. Audio-visual Systems Modelling or Urban Modelling);
Category II: Domain Model Uses represent industry-specific Modelling Information. The Construction Domain Model Uses are organised in seven Series:
- Series 2: Capturing and Representing (2000-2990) - e.g. Photogrammetry or Record Keeping
- Series 3: Planning and Designing (3000-3990) - e.g. Construction Planning or Lean Process Analysis
- Series 4: Simulating and Quantifying (4000-4990) - e.g. Safety Analysis or Quantity Take-off
- Series 5: Constructing and Fabricating (5000-5990) - e.g. Casework Prefabrication or Sheet Metal Forming
- Series 6: Operating and Maintaining (6000-6990) - e.g. Asset Maintenance or Relocation Management
- Series 7: Monitoring and Controlling (7000-7990) -e.g. Building Automation or Performance Monitoring
- Series 8: Linking and Extending (8000-8990) - e.g. BIM/PLM Overlapping or BIM/FM Integration
CATEGORY III: Custom Model Uses are a combination of General and Domain Model Uses to respond the non-typical requirements of a specific project. Custom Model Uses are organized under a single Series, Custom Modelling (9000-9990) - e.g. Modelling security systems for a correctional facility.
- The Model Uses Taxonomy was published as part of BIM ThinkSpace Episode 24 (Sep 9, 2015).
- Please also refer to earlier post: Model Uses Conceptual Structures (Sep 9, 2015)
- There are currently 125 Model Uses across all categories and series (as of March 24, 2016). For a full list, please refer to BIMexcellence.org/model-uses.